A skybox is a cube made up of six individual images that create an immersive background in an experience. A skybox appears to be panoramic because the images are made to be perfectly aligned with each other, allowing you to look in all directions without the impression of being inside a cube. This makes experiences feel larger than they really are, and it adds depth to your atmosphere, such as simulating deep space or underwater environments.
Creating a Skybox
If you have created your own skybox images, you must first import them to Roblox before you can use them in a skybox. Each image must be seamless along all edges of neighboring images when "folded" into a cube.
To create a skybox:
In the Explorer window, insert a Sky object into the Lighting object:
Hover over the Lighting object and click the ⊕ button. A contextual menu displays.
From the contextual menu, insert a Sky.
Select the Sky object.
In the Properties window, click on and assign a texture to each of the following sky properties:
- SkyboxBk - The back square of the skybox.
- SkyboxDn - The down square of the skybox.
- SkyboxFt - The front square of the skybox.
- SkyboxLf - The left square of the skybox.
- SkyboxRt - The right square of the skybox.
- SkyboxUp - The up square of the skybox.
In addition to setting the skybox images, you can adjust various properties to fine-tune its appearance.
Sun, Moon, and Stars
By default, the Roblox Sky object includes celestial bodies such as a sun, moon, and stars. These bodies dynamically appear, rise, and set based on the TimeOfDay or ClockTime property values.
You can customize celestial bodies through the following properties:
- SunTextureId – Sets the texture of the sun.
- SunAngularSize – Sets the relative size of the sun in degrees.
- MoonTextureId – Sets the texture of the moon.
- MoonAngularSize – Sets the relative size of the moon in degrees.
- StarCount – Sets the amount of stars in the skybox.
To disable all celestial bodies, you can set the CelestialBodiesShown property to false. Alternatively, you can disable the sun and/or moon by setting SunAngularSize or MoonAngularSize to 0.