This guide covers the process of creating a classic clothes asset using the following steps:
- Testing the look of the classic clothes in Studio.
- Uploading the image assets to the Avatar Catalog.
The three types of classic clothing items are T-shirts, Shirts, and Pants. Each has different design and format requirements.
T-shirts are square images applied to the front of an avatar's torso. To make a t-shirt, create a square image (such as 512×512 pixels) and then upload it to Roblox using the Asset Manager to test in your own experience.
Shirts and Pants
Classic shirts and pants are image assets that wrap around an avatar's body. To create shirts and pants, download the following clothing templates and draw your own art on top. Once completed, you can upload it to Roblox using the Asset Manager to test in your own experience.
The following table includes sizes for each template part:
|Shape||Pixel Size (width x height)||Clothing Parts|
|Large square||128 × 128||FRONT and BACK|
|Tall rectangle||64 × 128||Sides of torso (R, L) |
Sides of arms and legs (L, B, R, F)
|Wide rectangle||128 × 64||UP and DOWN|
|Small square||64 × 64||Top and bottom of arms and legs (U, D)|
When applying clothing to R15 avatars in Roblox, some limits exist with the templates and may require some testing to get right, as shown in the following examples:
It is important to test your clothes before uploading or selling. You can test your clothes without needing to pay any fees.
In Studio, open the Plugins tab and click Build Rig.
Choose a rig type from the popup menu. This should drop an avatar mannequin in your workspace named Dummy.
In the Explorer window, hover over the Dummy object, click the ⊕ button and insert either a ShirtGraphic (T-shirt), Shirt, or Pants object according to the clothing you want to test.
Locate and select the new Shirt Graphic or Clothing object parented under Dummy.
Shirt Graphic (T-shirt)
In the Properties window, locate the associated property as follows:
Click inside the property's row and select the image you uploaded to Roblox. This applies the clothing texture to the dummy character.
Once you’ve finalized and tested your design, you can upload the clothing item to Roblox. All designs uploaded to the Avatar Catalog require a fee. Once successfully uploaded and added to the catalog, you receive a commission for all sales of your items.
To upload a custom clothing item:
- Navigate to the Roblox Create page.
- Click on either Shirts, Pants or T-shirts in the left column, depending on your design.
- In the main panel, click Choose File to select your template file. Your shirt or pants image must be exactly 585 pixels wide and 559 pixels tall or the upload will fail.
- Choose a name for your clothing.
- Click on the Upload button. Once approved by Roblox, the item shows up as one of your creations and can be equipped or offered for sale to other Roblox players.